Friday, May 22, 2020

Reviewing Previous Skills: Beginning of the Year 5th Grade Stations

The school year is over or almost over and I'm planning for next year. This year I want to focus on reinforcing skills that students learned from the previous year that directly scaffold into the next year's standards. I work with 5th and 6th graders so I looked at 4th and 5th grade TEKS and made a list of the ones I could easily make a station, that directly scaffold the next grade level, and hopefully combined a few skills. 

At the beginning of the year, I set up stations that I wanted students to get used to so that I could do the same station and just switch out the topic. I also started with skills that student's generally excel at. I want them to feel successful at the beginning of the year so we all start the year with a good attitude about math. 

This set of stations is Bump It games for 5th grade. This is a fun, easy game for students to play and they can get a bit competitive and still practice. 

The skills I included are:
  • Dividing Whole Numbers: Up to 4 digit dividend and 1 digit divisor
  • Finding Perimeter with Whole Numbers
  • Equivalent Fractions
  • Finding Area of Rectangles with Whole Numbers
These are skills that "should" (coronavirus) have been taught in 4th grade and are definitely skill students need to use in 5th grade. If we get to use these in the classroom this fall, I would suggest doing a quick mini lesson or warm-up a few days before playing the game. Something to jog student's memories. 




I love these dry erase sleeves for students to write on during stations. It erases much easier than lamination and stays around longer than sheet protectors. (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...