Sunday, September 25, 2022

Graphing in all Four Quadrants--Coordinate Graphing Activities--Math Intervention

How can my students practice coordinate graphing?

Coordinate graphing is usually a topic that my students caught onto pretty quickly. It was a lesson that could be hands on and those lessons are the ones that students caught onto more quickly. 

However, in the year of COVID-- a lot of students were remote during the coordinate graphing lesson and missed that hands-on lessons. As we progressed throughout the year, I realized students were still not getting how to graph so I created this activity to help reinforce the skill. 


Locating Ordered Pairs Freebie


I pulled students into groups of 5 or 6 and had expo markers, the cards, and a poster-sized coordinate graph that was laminated. My school had a poster maker so I could make the coordinate graph poster size. If I didn't have a poster size coordinate graph-I would print several copies of the graph for students to have access to. 

First I had students work in pairs. I gave each pair a card and had them work together to find their ordered pair based on the instructions. I asked each student pair to explain how they found their ordered pair. The expo markers were helpful because I asked students to trace the path they took to find their ordered pair. I ask them to to the same thing when they are taking a test. It is a more concrete way to learn this concept. 

Overall, this was an easy activity to prepare and got students talking about finding their ordered pairs. Any activity that gets to students to talk about their thinking in math is a win. 


If you need more activities to teach coordinate graphing, you can find them here. 




Coordinate Graphing Locating Ordered Pairs Freebie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...