Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Magic Trash

Sometimes my classroom can be a total mess at the end of the day. Especially if the scissors come out. Sometimes I just feel so embarrassed when the janitors come in so I try to make it looks as clean as possible.

I saw this idea somewhere last year, tried it and it worked so well.

At the end of the day when we are doing dismissal procedures, I secretly pick a piece of trash on the floor. Then I tell my class that whoever picks up the magic piece of trash gets a prize. (I use a piece of gum.)

Those who want to participate, usually most of the class, quickly get up and pick up every piece of trash in the room.

This works perfectly because if I wanted to reward someone who usually doesn't get rewards, no one has to know which piece of trash I really picked.

If I were a better teacher, I might be able to get students to pick up trash just because it is there. But that is an improvement I'll focus on further in my teaching career.

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! I will be using this next year.

    I always just say, "Okay everybody pick up ___ pieces of trash off the floor.", and use some random number. If I have a high number like 17, it is fun to see the goofy things they will find to pick up...like a tiny piece of fuzz or itty-bitty scrap of paper.
    Your tip will be fun to add into the mix!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...